Sunday, December 20, 2009

Television endowed him vision


(A god's favorite child, blind by birth, underprivileged & poor not only happened to win a million hearts but also his own vision. This post is not about his victory. It's about how his true spirits of survival and his outlook towards life impelled me to look at my own life with a positive perspective.)


I must admit I am, quite a consumer of John Baird's invention- The Television. He would surely be having a broad smile on his face whenever he stooped from the heavens above and found me glued to the screen. On the other hand, he would hide his face, when he found my parents complaining about the sameJ.


I m not a daily soaps or reality television buff. However, this post is dedicated to the spirited blind young man who participated in a reality television called Idea Star Singer, which, thanks to my parents, I happened to casually snoop every evening after my days work. He eventually got eliminated from the show but did win lots of love and most importantly his eye sight.


"ISS<Space>Shibu"


I went to the message mode of my mobile and typed the same and sent it to number which was being displayed on the screen. A voluntary act, yet for a person who has always loathed the 'Reality' shows, it was so very unlikely. It was the first time I had seen Shibu perform and I must say with even his disability, he did an astounding job. Prior to this, the show did have other participants who had similar disability. Their performance, of course left you with a heavy heart, and a lament to the almighty for why he had been so unfair to them. Not to mention, the channel also used the same as mileage, as it never shied from showing these tearjerkers as teasers. I don't really blame them; as this strategy of theirs has not only increased the TRPs but has also helped these participants win some great opportunities. The sms voting by me was not actually to save him from elimination…it was rather more of a tribute to him.


Shibu set him selves apart from others by always inducing his own grace to each of his performance. A brightly lit smile on his face never made him look like a son of a lesser god. In fact, he always seemed to be enjoying himself and never did he let the audience have pity on him. When judges scrutinized his performance, it really surprised me when i saw him accept his mistakes so open heartedly along with some blazing smiles….something even the most prudent of participants took with stooped shoulders and heads. The audiences felt rejoiced and electrified by seeing him laugh his heart out at the jokes and leg pulling done by judges. He was never sorry for his state, and neither did he make anyone feel sorry! What a sport! What a human being! Truly inspirational! A real treat to watch!


I realized how often, many of us wail, lament and complain for not having a role model or a proper guide when we needed the most. I wondered what inspired this boy, who has lost his father, who hails from a very ordinary and humble background to carry on? Whatever it may be it must be something really strong!


One evening, when i was back from work, my mother proclaimed cheerfully "Shibu got eyesight". She was as happy as if her own blind son was bestowed with the marvel of "sight". It was really heartwarming but at the same time I felt somber for having missed his interview. I later learnt that a philanthropist doctor watched him perform on TV and had volunteered to treat him free of cost. However, only one of his eyes could be repaired as the other one was irreparable. A few days later, while being eliminated, Shibu was emotional "Without seeing my audience, I sang so many songs….i had a wish to sing a few more songs while I watched them watch me….. "


I patiently waited for video of Shibu's interview on YouTube. In his interview, Shibu expressed his happiness for his new life and how his life has changed. Ranjini, the hostess, made him identify some colors….which he identified with some difficulty. "When I was blind, I had a judgment of things around….But now everything is new and it's scary". After watching it, I realized how a Malayalam saying, often said by my father, holds true which could be roughly translated as "Paucity could only be understood when experienced"


John Baird now has one more reason to smile, for it was his invention that ushered Shibu to the new world of light!

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic writing, Aneesh! Your article has managed to blurr my vision....cos your writing touched my heart and filled my eyes.

    Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....it was excellent.

    though I have never seen that program, but was feeling it when i was going through it....

    It is really good ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Bro...It is too touching..Good one.

    Now even i am eager to find this person on You Tube...

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one, I can't understand Malyalam but one day I will sit with you to watch the video of Shibu's interview.

    Buddy, you need to write more. I am sure you can express better that what you have done here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aneesh this was really heart touching one...

    Really good one.
    keep going

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aneesh, I just recall the saying "A drop of INK can make a million THINK", similarly your writing on Shibu has deeply touched me.

    All the very best dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post as usual, manJ! Many a times people think that the God hasn’t been fair with handicap people especially blind people. But I guess these people have been blessed with great courage, good humor and smiling face which is not easy to find all together in any normal person. I have met few such people in past and spoke with them, and these characteristics I found common amongst them.

    And the television world, if it’s been awful at some times then it too has contributed in good things. I have seen one more such incident like Shibu on TV show called Tere mere beach mein. It’s not the handicap but a little boy and about his courage to fulfill his dream. Watch this here. Just few days back I came to know that these channel guys found and met Iqbaal’s parent. The kid now is with family keeping his dream of being a cricketer alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pleasantly surprised by your writing. Certainly, write more often. And while at it, don't get carried away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Good writing skills.
    Good combination of humour and emotion.
    I could not get my eyes off it till I finished reading.

    Regards,
    RHN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like most things, the more you write, the better you're going to be!!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good one Bro, Came just at the right time for me...I almost lost my faith in god since I had been going through very rough time throughout my life... But Shibu's fighting spirit & the way to lead the life,really give us all the reason why we shouldn't quiet trying hard in life, The Almighty is up there & watching us try & nobody can point the way how he pays us bck our destiny...Dude just one suggestion,it would have been nice for all of us, if u had posted the program & interview links in this blog.....
    But This was awesomly written....seems to be a good writer.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. First I would like to congrats Aneesh for his creative writing. He is indeed talented
    I can see few of you were touched by his blog. I would like to take this topic to next level. Since you have seen Shibu thru television bcoz he had talented voice (not more than Mini Mole last year contestant of Idea Star singer).She has irreparable eye nerves. I am not here to talk about who is more talented. Shibu and Mini mole came to limelight bcoz they were talented and got opportunity to sing on International platform. There are million people like them who get no proper medical help.
    What can we do for those who are disabled? Are we being a Good Samaritan and giving back to the community back.
    So if you are really touched by Shibu’s story then please go to below link and give something back.
    www.giveindia.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. very well said. there are so many people who always crib even after having the best things in life.its these small lessons tht you must look up to and learn from everyday.
    so our little idiot box is nt tht idiot.
    nice piece of work

    ReplyDelete
  14. Till now I just thought reality tv is just a waste and doesnt interest me a even a bit.After getting info on Shibu and a participant in a dance show who is deaf and dumb;I realise that at least these shows are doing there part to show a ray of hope to these people.

    Annesh,its nicely written and presented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even I am not a Soap Opera / reality show buff and I never saw this show, but what you have a put here and specifically in this statement

    "He was never sorry for his state, and neither did he make anyone feel sorry!"

    This is the true genious of the guy and that's how everybody should live their life i.e., with no regrets and cherish what you have as some wise men in some dimension once said "Enjoy what you have..coz hey! it could have been worse" :)

    I belive I was trying to make a similar point about happiness here in my post, but not many actually pay attention ;)

    http://questinprogress.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/happiness/

    Though I am happy for Shibu's eyesight but I guess he may realize it in time that world was much better place when he couldn't see it, now he may not like what he sees, but then it is again the partial statement from the saying applies "It lies in the eye of the beholder" so he can either choose to see the Pain and Suffering or Cherish what is worth admiring...I believe Shibu would choose the later.

    Nice insight by the way. I really enjoyed this post, It felt nice to see learn that "Idiot Box" is capable of making lives of people better ....though can't say the same for Idiot box when it ocmes to making difference to the world at large ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aneesh

    Awesome.. I was actually looking for your blog on mycosmos-aneesh.blogspot.com/ as I wanted to show it to one of my friends at SNS, but couldnt find it there. Then after making a search I chanced upon ur new link and I must say u still doing a good job.......of late have u stopped blogging.. U should not stop blogging...

    Luck
    Preeti ( Hope u remember me)

    ReplyDelete