Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A City paralyzed…..Well almost

It's a special day for me. But also, it's been a day of ironies. 21st of October 2008, a prominent political leader is arrested for whatever reasons. He and his ideologies might be right and also may be that of his political opponents. I am nobody to comment on any political alignments and thoughts. But as a common man, I have few neutral concerns. I am trying to voice that and there are no offences meant. I am a person who has spent his life across the length and breadth of this country. Born in Kerala, I have grown up in western, eastern and northern part of this country. I believe I am an ideal person to be named as a neutral Indian, with no cultural, ethnical and religious biases, a true INDIAN. Maybe the gentleman in the centre of controversy is right or maybe he is generating momentum as part of vote bank politics. I don't Care!!

I started my day early, as I mentioned it was special day for me. But in the quest to accomplish many activities, I missed my company bus and had to arrange for an alternate means to make it to next nearest pickup. This bus which I boarded was a Karnataka state transport bus to Mumbai. I believe they are not allowed to take passengers for short distance travels within Maharashtra, as that service is catered by BEST service. There were no tickets issued either. Stop to think of it, this is one of the instance were outsiders/outside entities are being parasites. But where doesn't that happen?

I found one of my colleagues, a cheerful, maharastrian gentleman with whom I share the company bus. But today he looked really tensed. He had left his office late the previous day and hence didn't mind carrying his Laptop home. It was supposed to be with him all the time as his nature of work demanded it so. It turned out that an urgent work came up when he was leaving his house. Had he had his lappy, he would have connected to the office network and attended to his work. He really needed to make it fast to office and he missed the bus. On the State transport we were discussing this and just then the traffic came to a halt. We were expecting disruptions but not in this part of city.

We saw a mob that halted the traffic, shouting slogans in support of the leader, who is opposing the influx of north Indians and their culture into this very city. Call it irony or unity in diversity, the slogans were in Hindi!! A few even enjoyed the show. The trouble makers were people who visibly looked laymen, who would hardly seem to have been affected by the political potboiler. Also it included few college going students, who seemed to want to bunk their classes and wanted to make this moment cherish able.

At least, around hundred people from different walks of life's, different ethnicities irrespective of a Marathi, Guajarati or Malayali were stuck up with not knowing what to do. By now, I and my friend decided to board the train rather than chase to the next pickup. I started having a double mind and decided to go back home. My friend had no option rather than going to office. The road block had caused a sense of urgency in him which I didn't find in any other person around.

I entered the railway station and saw people in panic caused due to the jam. Women were on mobiles informing their loved ones about the situation, Men calling up offices, students finding a way out. Suddenly a mob of at least 20 men came running in like a herd wild bulls, screaming and causing chaos. Later it turned out that they were just doing that for their amusement.

When a mob protests comes in the form of hooliganism, the real reason behind the protest is not any cause but it's just a sheer act of disrupting normal life, committed by people who either enjoy doing it or have been brainwashed.

Finally we both reached the platform and I informed my friend "Hey, by the way it's my Birthday today". My friend was elated and said "Then you sure have a reason to be home. Enjoy!!!"

6 comments:

  1. Does not look like a First post. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the real punch!~!
    Please continue to write...more.
    We are your readers.
    Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aneesh

    Fantafabulous. U have a passionate writer hidden inside you. Dont let it be dormant.Now I feel U should have taken up this job long back.

    I thoroughly enjoyed them.I would love to read more of your blogs.

    Keep writing .
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyy Aneesh I think you are into wrong field you should have been either editor or news reporter.
    A Great post...keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!
    Aneesh:) fab blog!! keep writing. Actually reading your this blog, helped me understand how is mum and its day to day life of a normal ppl. This is deeps here

    ReplyDelete